Sunday, March 4, 2012

Clockwise or Clockconfused?


My garage door opener bit the dust.  I saved it for my kids so they could take it apart---they love to explore stuff like that.  When I brought it out to work on, the first step was to take out a screw.  Meredith took on the task and started turning the screwdriver to the right to unscrew it.  My husband and I chimed in right away like all parents do in that sing-songy voice: "Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty."  Meredith still has some difficulty with left vs. right.  To be oh, so helpful, we chimed in again, "Right is clockwise and left is counterclockwise."

Meredith told us that she never understood that, because clockwise goes right at the top of the clock, but then turns left at the bottom of the clock.  It took a second for me to understand what she meant, but then I could see her problem.  She had a very good point!  I guess everyone makes the assumption that when you say that clockwise is to the right you mean that at the top (12), you go right.

This was yet another example of how it is so easy to take things for granted and make incorrect assumptions.  It is also a great example of the strengths of a visual or dyslexic mind.  Meredith saw the clock work in a way that I never even thought of.  It is time for all kinds of minds to be valued for their unique strengths.  I know that more and more is being done to address educating all kinds of minds, but I think there is a very long way to go. 

This is why I am so thankful for those who acted boldly and started the Odyssey School in Austin, Texas, because they are the embodiment of this view.  The tagline for the School is that they serve "Bright Children Who Learn Differently."  Last week, Odyssey School posted something on their Facebook page that impressed me beyond description.  They understand the basics that some children learn differently and benefit from a different teaching environment than public schools.  But, they are so far beyond that.  They understand that they are not only addressing deficits...they are nuturing unique strengths in students that may have otherwise not be realized:

     "Working 'for the kids' sounds good, feels good, looks good. But we are also working for ourselves - these kids can make our world better."

1 comment:

  1. To teach my son left from right we had him hold up both hands and make L's with thumb and first finger, the L, for left, is always on the left. He did that for a few years before it sunk in for him.

    ReplyDelete