Monday, February 20, 2012

Mental Color Mixing



Meredith drew me this very simplified version of her "Colorator 3000x."  The Colorator 3000x is a color mixer that Meredith uses in her mind.  Apparently there are many, many more colors than the four that are shown in her picture, and they are "true" colors--not like how sometimes the color on a marker doesn't match the actual color it writes on paper, according to Meredith anyway.

The Colorator 3000x is pretty straightforward.  You press the colors that you want to mix, and then pull the lever.  The spoon will automatically stir the colors.

This is all good, but I couldn't figure out when Meredith would use this machine.  After asking her that question a couple of times, she told me that she uses it when she learns new words.  "Like 'important,'" she tells me.  "It's purple.  I have a color and a picture for every word."  This was news to me--I didn't know she had a color for every word.  (The picture for the word "important," by the way, is Benjamin Franklin signing the Declaration of Independence...she doesn't know why, but it makes sense to me!)

Then Meredith told me, "And there's a manual, too.  One day, I was so bored, I made all the possible color combinations and wrote them down in a manual for Merebith.  It will say 'fushia plus teal equals...'  It took forever." 

Who knows how many color combinations she must have made because colors are such a big part of her life.  She just told me there are 8-9,000 different combinations in the manual.  Could that really be possible?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment